Cone of silence on enforcement news from Labor Department

Thursday, March 9th, 2017 

The Investigative Reporting Workshop is publishing this latest report from FairWarning, a nonprofit news organization based in Pasadena, California, that focuses on public health, safety and environmental issues.

In November, the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration announced fines against businesses with workers who were killed when they were pulled into a wood chipper, burned in a refinery fire and crushed in collapsing grain bins and construction trenches. In all, OSHA issued 33 enforcement news releases that month, and over 50 more from Dec. 1 until just before Inauguration Day on Jan. 20.

But since then, OSHA hasn’t issued a single news release about penalties or other enforcement actions by federal authorities. The same goes for a second Department of Labor division, Wage and Hour, which in previous weeks had announced the recovery of back wages for peanut processors in Georgia, hotel staffers in New York City, commercial painters in Texas and cafeteria workers at the U.S. Senate building.

Neither OSHA nor Wage and Hour officials have responded to requests for comment on why they have gone silent on enforcement news for six weeks. At issue is more than basic public relations. The Labor Department for years has used news releases to single out bad actors and to deter violations by other employers who fear that they could face penalties and damaging publicity too.

 

ALT TITLE GOES HERE
Jordan Barab, formerly No. 2 at OSHA

Jordan Barab, the No. 2 OSHA official in the Obama administration, said his agency used that strategy because it “basically had to leverage our resources as much as possible to increase our impact” due to its relatively small size. According to union researchers, it would take OSHA working at its normal pace 145 years to inspect every workplace under its jurisdiction just once.

As a result, according to Barab’s ex-boss and former OSHA chief David Michaels, “Failure to publicize OSHA’s activities means many employers will not think to abate their hazards and more workers will be hurt.”

Neither Michaels nor Barab, however, said that they have seen evidence of inspections being halted by OSHA. In addition, an official still at the Labor Department said, ”We’re definitely still out there doing our cases, doing our litigations. … That stuff is definitely still going on. It’s just being able to tell the world about it that’s the struggle.”

The Labor Department official also said, “I haven’t heard anything officially where they say they’re going to stop” issuing releases. Rather, he said, it’s “a pause.”

One factor could be that the transition at the top of the Labor Department has been slowed by the withdrawal last month of Trump’s controversial initial nominee for labor secretary, Andrew Puzder, a fast-food restaurant executive. The replacement choice for the job, R. Alexander Acosta, still awaits confirmation hearings.

‘Bully Pulpit'

In 2009, however, the last time the White House switched hands from one party to another, there was no similar halt in Labor Department news releases. A FairWarning check of OSHA’s enforcement archives confirms a steady stream of press releases during 2008 under the Republican administration of George W. Bush and on through the transition into the Obama presidency.

“The thing about the Obama administration and the previous administration is that they clearly used the bully pulpit to let all businesses know that workplace injuries and illnesses can be prevented,” said Deborah Berkowitz, OSHA chief of staff from 2009 to 2013.

The Obama administration news release output continued until two days before the Trump inauguration. In the final weeks, press releases announced, among other things, that John Deere agreed to pay $275,000 to settle allegations by a whistleblower that he was fired for exposing unsafe conditions; the U.S. Postal Service was assessed $520,000 for violating safety and health standards; and an Alabama auto parts supplier for Kia and Hyundai was hit with a proposed $2.5 million in fines related to the death of a worker crushed in a robotic machine.

Meanwhile, along with the absence of enforcement announcements, the Trump administration and Republican-led Congress have begun efforts to scale back workplace regulations.

The House voted last month to strike down an OSHA regulation requiring businesses seeking federal contracts to disclose previous labor violations. The Senate is expected to follow suit.

In addition, on Wednesday, the Labor Department proposed a delay for a regulation aimed at further protecting shipyard, construction and industrial workers from airborne exposure to beryllium, a toxic metal.

The delay, the department said, will provide further time to scrutinize the rule in keeping with a Trump directive on trimming government regulations. OSHA has previously estimated that stronger exposure standards for the toxic substance would save 90 lives a year.

Editor’s note: On Friday, March 10, the Wage and Hour division broke its silence by issuing its first enforcement news release since Jan. 18. Officials announced a settlement agreement with Unwrapped Inc., a Lowell, Massachusetts, sewing factory, providing back wages and damages of $890,021 for 327 workers. The firm, which was charged with failing to pay proper overtime and minimum wages, also will pay $293,000 in a separate settlement with the Massachusetts Attorney General’s office, which took part in the investigation. As of March 10, OSHA still had not announced any enforcement actions since Jan. 18.

Myron Levin contributed to this report.

Recent News

Fire danger persists for Polaris off-road vehicles

The leading producer of off-road vehicles has recalled thousands of its machines because of fire danger. The vechicles are responsible for three deaths so far, resulting in multiple lawsuits. 

Incubating new economic models for journalism.

Latest from iLab

Future of DC transparency

The future of transparency in D.C. government is murky, open records advocates say.

Since its creation in 2011, the Office of Open Government has been tasked with keeping more than 90 District agencies in compliance with the Freedom of Information Act. But the board that oversees the office will not reappoint its inaugural director, Traci L. Hughes, making transparency advocates worried about the office’s future.  

The power of reporters, working together

Workshop Executive Editor Charles Lewis writes about global teamwork in investigative reporting in his chapter for a new book published by the Reuters Institute at the University of Oxford. 

Blogs

Most Recent Posts

Apprehensions at U.S.-Mexico border down from 2017

The number of people apprehended or denied entry into the U.S. dropped from 2017.

Donations to nonprofit newsrooms continue to grow after 'Trump bump'

Despite his persistent claims of fake news and shoddy reporting, President Donald Trump’s contentious relationship with the media has actually provided a much-needed financial boost for many nonprofit,  investigative journalism organizations across the country.

Asbestos, highway safety and child strangulation prevention

Check out our three reprints from FairWarning.

Stories include preventions in child strangulation, Johnson & Johnsons carcinogen worries and highway safety.

 

How Trump is shaping immigration policy

“It is time to reform these outdated immigration rules, and finally bring our immigration system into the 21st century," said President Donald Trump at his first State of the Union. 

What Trump didn’t talk about were the ups and downs of immigration under his administration. The Investigative Reporting Workshop built a timeline of immigration during Trump’s first year, and we’ll continue to update it.

American trust in the media is low, but majority believes it is necessary

More than 80 percent of U.S. adults believe the news media are critical or very important to our democracy, according to a recent survey by Gallup and the Knight Foundation.

Partners

Workshop Partners

We publish online and in print, often teaming up with other news organizations. We're working now on a new program with FRONTLINE producers, to air later in the year, and on the "Years of Living Dangerously," a series on climate change that has begun airing on Showtime. A story last year on the use of solitary confinement in immigration detention centers was co-published with The New York Times. Our updates to our long-running BankTracker project, in which you can view the financial health of every bank and credit union in the country, have been published with msnbc.com, now nbcnews.com, and we co-published stories in our What Went Wrong series on the economy with The Philadelphia Inquirer and New America Media. Our graduate students are working as researchers with Washington Post reporters, and our new senior editor is a member of the Post's investigative team. Learn more on our partners page.

Projects

Investigating Power update

Investigating Power update

Profiles of notable journalists and their stories of key moments in U.S. history in the last 50 years can be found on the Investigating Power site. See Workshop Executive Editor Charles Lewis' latest video interviews as well as historic footage and timelines. You can also read more about the project and why we documented these groundbreaking examples of original, investigative journalism that helped shape or change public perceptions on key issues of our time, from civil rights to Iraq, here.