Tuesday, November 19th, 2013
To learn more about the rise of superbugs, you can review these sources:
• Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, "Antibiotic Resistance Threats in the United States, 2013."
• David Shlaes, "Antibiotics: The Perfect Storm" (Springer, 2010)
• Brad Spellberg, "Rising Plague: The Global Threat from Deadly Bacteria and Our Dwindling Arsenal to Fight Them" (Amherst, N.Y.: Prometheus Books, 2009.)
• Institute of Medicine of the National Academies of Science, "Antibiotic Resistance: Implications for Global Health and Novel Intervention Strategies" (Washington: National Academies Press, 2010.)
• Office of Technology Assessment, "Impacts of Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria" (Washington: 1995).
• Maryn McKenna, "SUPERBUG: The Fatal Menace of MRSA" (New York: Free Press, 2010.)
• Jessica Snyder Sachs, "Good Germs, Bad Germs: Health and Survival in a Bacterial World" (New York: Hill and Wang, 2007.)
• Stuart B. Levy, "The Antibiotic Paradox: How the Misuse of Antibiotics Destroys Their Curative Powers" (New York: Perseus, 2001; originally published 1992)